View all facilities

Handke Stadium (“Handke Pit”)

  1. 1
  2. 2
Site Information
Elkhi Stadium, also known as Handke Stadium (“The Pit”), was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004 (#04000540). The stadium actually began as a pond, described as a water and muck-filled depression in the otherwise flat terrain. After a near drowning, the pond was drained and filled in to create the bowl stadium the 1920’s. The site was then turned into an athletic field with the help of local farmers that volunteered their wagons, scrapers and labor. With the support of the local community Elkhi Stadium was dedicated in 1925. The stone work, which can still be seen today, was installed in the 1930s as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The school building next to the stadium, now called the Handke Family Center, was built in 1930. The school was named after Robert Handke, who was the school superintendent for a quarter of a century.

This site has been utilized for high school football games, baseball in the spring and summer months, and ice skating in the winter months. In 2014 the site hosted Hockey Day Minnesota where National Hockey League players and numerous spectators came to watch hockey games. Today the site continues to provide enjoyment for local residents and visitors on the ice rinks below.