Law Enforcement Agencies in Sherburne County Recognized
With activities that included a mock crash at Big Lake High School, overtime traffic safety enforcement, and responsible alcohol server training for local establishments, law enforcement agencies in Sherburne County understand that it requires multiple strategies to influence driver behaviors. Their dedication to protecting Minnesotans on the road is being recognized with the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) Commissioner’s Award from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS).
The Elk River Police Department is the lead agency of the TZD Enforcement Grant that includes the Becker Police Department, Big Lake Police Department and the Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office. The agencies collaborate with the Minnesota State Patrol on grant-funded traffic safety efforts.
Elk River and its partners engaged in continuous coordinated enforcement, including high visibility extra enforcement during statewide campaigns, as well as enforcement efforts between statewide campaigns. Other activities to keep Minnesotans safe included:
- Distracted driving and impaired driving events using a pedal car at various schools.
- Promotion of the teen driving event at the Minnesota Highway & Safety Research Center.
- Elk River Police dedicated an unmarked squad car to traffic enforcement with an emphasis on texting and distracted driving.
- Becker Police participated in pedestrian crosswalk enforcement.
- Big Lake Police and Sherburne County received honors for impaired driving enforcement.
- All partner agencies use social media to reach Minnesotans, and the Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office notifies the community of high visibility enforcement via the Nextdoor social network application.
The Department of Public Safety Office of Traffic Safety selected Elk River Police and its partner agencies for protecting the county’s citizens through effective traffic safety efforts and their long term commitment to the TZD program. To view the full news release from the Minnesota DPS, please visit: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ooc/news-releases/Pages/law-enforcement.aspx.