Important COVID-19 Information:
Last Updated: March 20, 2020
At this time, the Building Safety Division will continue to provide services with the following exceptions:
Building Permit Applications, which are available at online here, will only be accepted via the following ways until further notice:
- Online Submission (if applicable)
- US Mail/UPS/FedEx/etc.
- Secure drop box located in the vestibule at the front door of City Hall
Permit Fees may be paid via:
- Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) over the phone (763.635.1060)
- Check by US Mail/UPS/FedEx/etc.
- Check by dropping off in the secure drop box in the vestibule at the front door of City Hall
Interior inspections of occupied homes will be delayed, when possible.
- Interior inspection requests will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Most will be postponed until May/June. Examples include: appliance replacements (furnace, AC, water heater/softener, etc.), window/door replacements, basement finishes, remodels, etc.
- If you have an interior residential inspection that is pressing, our inspectors will do what they can to accommodate your needs in a safe way.
We appreciate your understanding and willingness to work together with us as we navigate through uncharted territory. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Building Safety Division oversees all residential and commercial building, mechanical, plumbing, fire alarms/sprinklers, and rental dwelling licensing issued in the city limits. The Minnesota Building and Fire Codes are enforced and adhered to on all permits. Some exceptions to this requirement are listed in the building code. Obtaining a permit, by a homeowner and/or contractor, ensures safety and full compliance with the Minnesota State Building Code.
Permits are required for most residential and commercial projects, including, but not limited to:
- Finishing a Basement
- Garages/Sheds/Outbuildings (over 200 square feet)
- New Additions and Remodeling
- New Construction
- Window Replacement
- Door Replacement
- Electrical (issued by the State)