The Planning Division, which is part of the Community Development Department, has the role to assist the City Council with implementing the Comprehensive Plan, the foundation upon which the community guides its future growth, redevelopment, and improvement efforts.
The Planning Division, along with many other city divisions, works to ensure that new developments, redevelopment and remodeling projects meet zoning and subdivision requirements, while being consistent with the Comprehensive Plan vision.
From the Comprehensive Plan, the vision for the future of Elk River consists of several themes:
- Maintain a distinct identity
- Create and maintain strong neighborhoods
- Keep Elk River a “safe” place
- Preserve and maintain the environment
- Make Elk River a "complete" place