Parks and Recreation
Winners will be announced here soon!
Proposed Dock at Rivers Edge Commons Park
Our quaint and charming downtown is rich with shops, services, and eateries. Visitors travel easily to our city via its major roadways, however, some feel the city is missing one key transportation mode; the Mississippi River. Local residents, Shannon Tatro and Chris Carlson are leading an effort to raise funds to purchase and install a docking system at Rivers Edge Commons Park to make Elk River a destination for a variety of watercraft, boats, canoes, kayaks, and jet skis.
The Elk River Parks and Recreation Department is proposing a docking system called EZ Dock. This is the same product used by the City of Anoka on the Rum and Mississippi Rivers. It’s an ADA-accessible floating seasonal dock that can be installed each spring and removed each fall.
Shannon and Chris have secured about one half of the total price for the new dock and access improvements which are estimated to be $115,000. Watch this video to learn more or call:
Shannon Tatro, Resident/Boat and Dock Enthusiast
763.647.0983, or send an email.
Click here to download the flyer.
The safety and well-being of children participating in our recreation activities is our number one priority. We are taking measures to ensure that our staff is equipped to keep our participants safe as it is our commitment to continue to provide quality, educational and fun experiences.
We’re excited to return to play in a responsible way, below is an outline of our new guidelines. We have modified our curriculum and operating procedures to best accommodate the practices endorsed by public health officials.
Our staff will:
- Avoid high-fives, fist bumps, and unnecessary physical contact
- Wear a face covering if the state or local jurisdiction requires or recommends doing so
- Use rings, spots or orange cones as “home base” to keep children spread out when possible
- Be the only one to clean up and put away equipment, like cones and goals
- Remind children about the importance of keeping safe distances when practicing skills
Staff will sanitize all equipment before and after each session and will monitor their body temperatures daily. We will have smaller group sizes and/or larger field setups to allow for the distancing of participants and observers.
We request that families that observe sessions follow these guidelines for the health and safety of other families and our staff:
- Wash or sanitize hands before entering an activity
- Adhere to state and/or local jurisdiction regarding face-covering requirements
- Practice social distancing by staying 6 feet away from others that do not live in your household
- Stay home when you are sick and keep your children home if they are sick
We will closely monitor all communication from the MDH and CDC, as well as local authorities, for safety updates. As we learn more, and if needed, we’ll adjust our operations accordingly. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for children to enjoy recreational activities, with friends, in a safe environment.
We appreciate your trust in us, as well as your patience and flexibility as we work through this situation as a strong, unified community.
Department Mission Statement
Elk River Parks and Recreation is rich in diverse programs and facilities, dedicated to enhancing lives by inspiring play and embracing the nature of our city.