Religious Institution

Where is your religious institution allowed?
Religious institutions are allowed in select zoning districts within Elk River. Refer to the map of permitted locations for your religious institution.

What types of approval are required for your religious institution?
Religious institutions are a conditional use in allowed zoning districts. To determine what zoning districts allow religious institutions, view the "What Permit Is Needed" chart.

Conditional Use
This is reviewed through a public hearing process at the Planning Commission and City Council after submittal of a Conditional Use Permit (CUP). If all required information is submitted, and no unforeseen issues arise, the CUP process takes about two months, from application deadline, to review by the City Council. Once a CUP is approved, site inspections may be required for compliance to City Council-approved conditions and the CUP must be recorded at Sherburne County. All conditions must be met and the CUP recorded before you can start operating your business. The timeline after City Council approval is driven by you the applicant.

Click here for more information on the CUP process and to download the application.

Questions or need help?
City planning staff is here to assist you with the review process of your religious institution. Prior to submitting a CUP application, please contact us at 763-635-1000 or send us an email with any questions to discuss the desired location, review required information, and verify if additional reviews/applications (platting, easement vacations, etc.) may be required.

Need help with signage for your religious institution?
Follow this link and once you are in the online code, scroll to your specific zoning district (for example: Sec 30-871. C-3 highway commercial district) to identify the sign regulations for your business.