Active Elk River - 2018 Sales Tax Referendum

Active Elk River LogoEach year, more and more people are recognizing the amazing attributes that make Elk River a premier destination to live and visit. There are many reasons to love this community; location, parks and trails, an acclaimed school district, a dynamic economic environment, and the abundance of opportunities for everyone - quality of life in Elk River is second to none. Play fields, trails, and recreation options are in growing demand. Currently, many city recreational facilities are in need of costly expansion and repairs, and are simply unable to meet the expectations of our growing community.

Sign up for Notify Me, the city’s online notification tool, to receive updates on Active Elk River sent straight to your email or text messages, whenever new information becomes available.

Updates

August 8, 2018

At the August 6 meeting, City Council adopted a resolution approving a ballot item relating to the imposition of a sales and use tax for certain park improvements and recreational facility improvements. The question that will appear on the November 6, 2018 Primary Election ballot relating to the sales tax referendum can be found here.

August 7, 2018

At the August 6 meeting, City Council agreed on an alternative plan to make necessary recreational facility improvements if voters do not pass the Local Option Sales Tax referendum in November. In July, council unanimously voted in favor of including a half-cent sales tax increase on the General Election ballot on November 6. If passed, revenue generate will fund $35 million in recreation improvements and additions. If the sales tax referendum is not passed by voters, a property tax increase will fund $16 million in improvements/repairs to the Elk River Arena, and $1 million toward the Lake Orono dredging project.

Community Impact

How Does This Impact You?

If passed, the revenue generated will fund $35 million in recreation improvements and additions. The tax will pay bond payments and expire when the recreation projects costs are paid.

Please note, this is not associated with property taxes - a half-cent sales tax would apply to purchases made in Elk River by residents and non-residents. On average, *54.5% of all taxable sales are made by Elk River residents, with the remaining *45.5% made by non-residents.

*University of Minnesota Extension Service Study May 2018

Projects

1. Multipurpose Recreation FacilityERA_02142018_Exterior (2)

  • 2 NHL Ice Sheets
  • 30,000 sq.ft. Fieldhouse 
  • Locker Rooms
  • Meeting/Event Space
  • Cafe Restaurant
  • Retail


2. Activity Center +55 Improvements

Facility upgrades to meet the growing demand of our community.

3. Lake Orono Restoration and Enhancement

  • Water Quality Improvements
  • Wildlife Habitats
  • Dredging of Accumulated Sediment
  • Invasive Plant Reduction 

4. Trail System Connections

Close gaps in trails between neighborhoods, schools, and parks. Improve ADA accessibility and increase safe mobility options for bikers and pedestrians in and around Elk River.

5. Orono Park Revitalization

  • Splash Pad
  • Pickleball Court
  • Basketball Court
  • Modern Restrooms
  • Expanded Beach Area
  • Skateboard Park

6. Lion John Weicht Park RestorationLions Park_05082018_Scene 1

  • 2 Lighted Competitive Ball Fields
  • Modern Restrooms
  • Concessions
  • 100+ Person Picnic Pavilion
  • Expanded Parking

7. Youth Athletic Complex Upgrades

  • Field Lighting
  • Playground
  • Modern Restrooms
  • Concessions